Monday, April 16, 2007

Words Cannot Express this Loss

A tragedy today as over 50 people were shot and 32 killed at Virginia Tech. Recalling my thoughts upon hearing of the breaking story of two people shot earlier in the morning, I remember thinking "How sad."

Upon later hearing from my boss that there were at least 20 people dead, and then 30, I thought "Oh no... not again."

During my time in high school, I took part in an anti-violence group, and my group chose to do a special on school violence. I don't remember the specifics or statistics in it. We did our presentation in the fall of 2000, a year and a half after the massacre at Columbine. I do remember the address that day by President Bill Clinton. Simple, poignant, and respectful.

Today though, the immediate response from our political groups, as well as gun lobbyists of both sides, is to begin a debate on gun control, using this tragedy to further their own interests. For those of you who would turn this into some misguided political debate, it should be understood that this is not for you to stick your opinions into.

For now, all we can do is to offer our thoughts and prayers tonight for the lost, and the friends and families of those as well.

1 Comments:

At Friday, April 20, 2007 9:35:00 PM, Blogger Iggy said...

I'm tagging you.

In case you don't know what that means, somebody tagged me as a favorite blog. So I have to tag five others. You're one. Now you have to tag five.

Don't yell at me, I didn't make the damned game up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home